THE EDGAR ALLAN POE MEMORIAL ASSOCIATION
The approach of the One Hundredth Anniversary of the birth of Edgar Allan Poe found the people of Maryland realizing that it should witness their full acknowledgment of his genius.
Among those with whom sentiment had quickened to conviction were the members of The Woman s Literary Club of Baltimore, who first discussed the subject in March, 1904. From the flint and steel of their interchanging thoughts was lit the flame of purpose on April 18, 1907, when The Edgar Allan Poe Memorial Association was incorporated by the board of management of the Woman s Literary Club with the object of "erecting in Baltimore a monument to the poet worthy of his genius."
The Association was brought before the public on April 20, 1907, at a meeting in the clubs rooms, 105 West Franklin Street. Its invitations were responded to by the presidents or representatives of the womens clubs and societies of city and state, who accorded enthusiastic concurrence with the movement. The press was most inspiring. To the Sun s vital interest too high value cannot be accredited; also to the Baltimore American and other journals from seaboard to mountains.
The executive board immediately took up business details, chairmen were appointed through Maryland, and correspondence conducted toward forming branch associations in other states. A number of the clubs and societies whose representatives had pledged their support promptly redeemed their promises. Over two thousand circular letters were issued calling attention to the work, and emphasizing the voluntary nature of the contributions.
The cause widely endorsed, success seemed assured, when conditions were reversed by the financial stringency of June, 1907. Accepting the situation, the executive board resolved to wait until returning prosperity justified resumption of active measures, though untiring workers continued to add to the fund.
The celebration of the Centenary being contemplated alike by Johns Hopkins University and the Association, cooperation with the use of McCoy Hall for the
exercises was invited by Dr. Ira Remsen in a cordial letter to the president of the Association. This appropriate suggestion accepted, the programmes were merged into one of great dignity and power, commanding close attention from the brilliant assemblage; the evening of January 19, 1909, marking an epoch in the literary history of Baltimore.
For the speakers gracious permission to here record their tributes the executive board extends warm and appreciative thanks, and also acknowledge the vivid interest lent this volume by the accompanying photographs.
With confidence in ultimate success justified by the response of the people of Baltimore to the Centenary meeting, this book is sent forth and from every reader of its message is asked personal and abiding interest in the work and purpose of THE EDGAR ALLAN POE MEMORIAL ASSOCIATION.
THE EXECUTIVE BOARD
MRS. JOHN C. WRENSHALL
MRS. JORDAN STABLER
Miss LYDIA CRANE
MRS. GEORGE K. McGAW
MRS. PHILIP R. UHLER
MRS. ALAN P. SMITH
MRS. WILLIAM M. POWELL
MRS. SIDNEY TURNER
Miss ANNIE HOLLINS
Miss LlZETTE WOODWORTH REESE
MRS. LAURENCE TURNBULL
Miss ELIZABETH LESTER MULLIN
MRS. FREDERIC TYSON
Miss NELLIE C. WILLIAMS
Miss VIRGINIA WOODWARD CLOUD