Monday, April 27, 2009

Party Girl Sable Starr 1958-2009 RIP

"...they called me awful names at Rodney Bingenheimer’s English Disco, old being the most popular odious declaration of loathing. I let them get to me; they told me I was over the hill, and I looked in the mirror, inspecting my twenty-five-year-old face for early stages of decrepitness. The most hideous of these tartlets was Sable Starr. She thought she invented nipples and pubic hair." - Pamela Des Barres, 1987
Party Girl Sable Starr 1958-2009 RIP

Sable Starr

1958 - April 17, 2009

RIP

She's been called "Scenester," "Socialite," "Supergroupie," "Tartlet," but I think I prefer to call her a "Party Girl." While that choice may not suit everybody's taste, I not only think this phrase illustrates her best side, but it is inclusive of all the other titles. Face it, "Party Girl" is better than "Skank Whore."

In 1958, Sable Starr was born Sable Shields in Palos Verdes, an affluent suburb on the southwest peninsula of Los Angeles. In the 1970s, she came uptown to the Sunset Strip and made the scene like thousands of others.

Well, she Venied, she Vidied, and she Vicied enough to be mentioned in an Iggy Pop song:

"I slept with Sable when she was 13
Her parents were too rich to do anything
She rocked her way around L.A.
'Til a New York guy carried her away."- Iggy Pop

She had a bad love affair with Johnny Thunders of The New York Dolls. She cut her wrists and wound up in Bellevue. But her friends and family helped Sable straighten out her life. She had a couple of kids and worked as a dealer in Nevada. Over her years, she made a lot of friends who respect her and grieve for her now. They report that Sable died of brain cancer, peacefully, in her sleep, on Friday, April 17, 2009. In pace requiescat!

Party Girl Sable Starr 1958-2009 RIP

Here is an excellent short article about Sable Starr at the LAist with links for more information: Sable Starr has Left the Scene 1958-2009 - LAist

If you want to see who and how many rock guys she dated go here: Who's Dated Who?

Poe Forward's New Dead Girls 2009

The Original Dead Girl: Mary Rogers/Marie Roget

No comments:

Post a Comment